Monday, October 31, 2011

Promises (I've Broken)

Parenting a preschooler is all about compromise, finding middle ground, and even doing things I swore I’d never do.


Here are a few promises I’ve broken the last couple of months:


My child will eat food that is nutritious. He will not walk around eating candy and such.

My child will be potty trained at an early age. He will not be an over-grown, diaper-wearing kid.



My child will be clean and neat. He will picture perfect – clean clothes, clean body.


My child will not spend time in front of television and computer screens. He will show little interest in such things.


My child will absolutely not wear strange clothes – no ridiculous, puffy costumes and no inappropriate get-ups. I will choose to fight this battle every time.





Unfortunately, these are just a few of the promises I’ve broken recently. I can look back over Benjamin’s almost three and a half years of life and find so many more. I suspect the “compromises” are only beginning as the wild ride of parenthood continues.


Fortunately, one promise I have managed to keep is to love him, love him, and love him some more. This is a pretty easy one.


No comments:

Post a Comment