For the record, I am not a hoarder...
However, parting with things, especially those with sweet memories attached, is really difficult for me. One proof of this fact is glaringly obvious when you look around our house. Until recently, we had almost every toy and stitch of clothing that Benjamin ever touched. I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of his things that are connected to such wonderful memories. But, even these lovely things can start to be a burden - fill closets and book shelves, make drawers hard to shut, and turn family rooms into play rooms.
However, parting with things, especially those with sweet memories attached, is really difficult for me. One proof of this fact is glaringly obvious when you look around our house. Until recently, we had almost every toy and stitch of clothing that Benjamin ever touched. I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of his things that are connected to such wonderful memories. But, even these lovely things can start to be a burden - fill closets and book shelves, make drawers hard to shut, and turn family rooms into play rooms.
On Saturday night, I ran the idea past Benjamin; let's look through things and find all the stuff you don't need anymore. When I said it Saturday, I wasn't sure I could do it or that I wanted to. You know how to ensure tackling a dreaded task? Tell a kid about it. Kids have great memories.
So Sunday, with the help of my three year old, I took the first step. I asked Benjamin to look through his toys. We started in the den and then moved to his bedroom. I soon faced his clothes both in his closet and in his chest of drawers. We encouraged one another.
"Are you sure you want to give this away?"
"Yes, I'd like to give it to a baby because I'm not a baby anymore."
Sniff, sniff. "Okay."
When I tried to cram his foot into a pair of barely worn shoes, Benjamin gently declared that they were too small and they hurt his feet. As a result of our hard work, we donated toys to daycare and passed along clothes to a coworker's son. I was even inspired to do a quick run through of my clothes. It felt good. It feels even better to see his closet, shelves, and drawers looking neater (not the neatest, but definitely neater).
Watching Benjamin give so freely makes me feel happy.
Seeing my little boy grow up and do his best to drag me along with him is reassuring.
We can do this.




No comments:
Post a Comment