March 31 has been marked on Benjamin's calendar for a while. It's opening day. He woke up this morning pretty much talking in his sleep about the Rangers game. We had to set the DVR; he reminded Tim while he ate his cereal - again half asleep. When I picked him up from his class today after school his teacher assured me that he had let her know all about the upcoming game. He is most definitely into it. Once again.
I wonder if someday a baseball season will begin without Benjamin's enthusiastic greeting. How long will he love it? After all, he's only five years old. Surely his interests will change. It's hard to imagine now, but it could happen. (I have no idea what I loved when I was five.)
But I'm so glad it hasn't happened yet. What a great feeling to see him get his glove out a few weeks back and use it everyday since then. He knows a lot more about the game than he used to, but his excitement hasn't wavered. I'm so grateful to watch him learn and grow and be inspired in this way. I'm also grateful to see him in the backyard running invisible bases and giving imaginary high fives after hitting a pretend home run (or maybe grand slam!). This is a special time. I, for one, hope that it lasts forever. Play ball, Banjo boy! We love you.



No comments:
Post a Comment